Merry Christmas everybody and welcome back to the Everything Ham Radio Podcast! In this episode we are going to be talking about the some new scholarships that are available through the ARRL, My Christmas Wishlist and the latest episode of the Hamradio 360 Podcast, we talk about the St. Albans Amateur Radio Club in our amateur radio club spotlight, we talk about some upcoming events/contests over the next two weeks and wrap it up with some news from around the hobby!
Tech Corner – Merry Christmas
What a “wonderful” past few days I had! ALL of my pipes that are above ground froze Saturday night here when the temperature dropped from 76 at noon to 17 at 5 am Sunday Morning. Sunday evening my wife and I were sitting on our back porch and heard what sounded like a small caliber gun shot. After investigating it, I found out that my pipes shattered…EVERY SINGLE BIT OF WATER PIPE THAT WAS ABOVE GROUND SHATTERED INTO PIECES!!!
Monday we got above freezing for about 4 hours, but had doctors appointments and other things so I couldn’t work on it until Tuesday. I started working on it about 8:30 am and finished about 5:30pm after 5 trips to the hardware store(s), but my day didn’t end there. Only some of my faucets worked, thankfully the showers did so I had to stop working on water issues and get the kids a bath, fed and into bed. Then it was back to work. After taking connections apart on every toilet and faucet, I finally got every water outlet back to full pressure by about 8:30.
With the water issues out of the way it was on to recording this episode and then back into the house to wrap a few final presents for our family’s Christmas Wednesday morning. Made it to be about 12:30 am and back up at 6 am to beat the kids awake and to get breakfast started. We opened presents Wednesday morning since I will be working all weekend and had breakfast burritos. The rest of the day we did some furniture rearranging, moved our oldest into a different room, moved the two and three year old from our baby room to the room the older was in and are getting ready for their baby brother to hopefully come sometime within the next couple weeks.
Two new ARRL Scholarship programs announced
- The Helen Laughlin AM Mode Memorial Scholarship is intended for female amateur radio operators,
- First choice Texas, then Arkansas then West Gulf Coast Region
- The Atlanta Radio Club Scholarship is for Georgians between 17 and 25 years old.
- ARRL has 80 scholarships that can be applied for: http://www.arrl.org/scholarship-descriptions
Christmas Wish List
- KENWOOD TS-480SAT – $839.95 – 100 watt HF Plus Six Meters
- RIGblaster Advantage – 199.95
Things You Can Do with a RIGblaster
- PSK31 (all models)
- WinMOR HF-Email (WL2K)
- MFSK16 (all models)
- MT63 (all models)
- Hellschreiber (all models)
- SSTV (all models)
- Digital SSTV (all models)
- RTTY AFSK (all models)
- RTTY FSK (RIGblaster Pro, Plus II, and Advantage)
- PACKET 300 &1200 baud AX25 (all models)
- APRS with packet sound card software (all models)
- MCW transmit and receive (all models)
- CW transmit and receive (RIGblaster Pro, Plus II, Plug & Play, and Advantage)
- Contest Voice Keying (RIGblaster Pro, Plus II, Advantage, and Blue)
- WSJT FSK441 High Speed FSK meteor scatter (all models)
- WSJT JT65 Extreme weak signal Tropo and EME (all models)
- FM repeater announcements, automatic and unattended. (all models)
- EchoLink® (web) Internet radio linking with the EchoLink®system. (all models)
- Simplex or duplex repeater control with EchoStation. (all models)
- Digital voice over SSB bandwidth on HF (all models)
- Transmit Speech Processing: EQ and Compression (RIGblaster Pro)
- Computer RIG control (RIGblaster Pro, Plus II, Plug & Play, Advantage, and Blue)
- DX beacon monitoring (RIGblaster Pro, Plus II, Plug & Play, Advantage, and Blue)
Things I’ve Heard On Other Podcasts
Amateur Radio Club Spotlight
Saint Albans Amateur Radio Club
- Last Thursday of the month at 7:30pm at the St. Albans VFW 353 Lake Road, St. Albans, VT
Repeaters ( Listen Live )
- 145.230 – PL 100 St. Albans
- 146.745 – PL 100 Jay Peak
- 443.400 + PL 162.2 St Albans
- 447.225 + PL 100 Jay Peak
- STARC Weekly net – Every Thursday evening at 7:00pm on the 145.230 Repeater
- Switchback Bike for the Lake
- Run For Jim Races
- QSO Parties
- Field Day
- Testing Sessions
|+ RAEM Contest||0000Z-1159Z, Dec 25|
|+ DARC Christmas Contest||0830Z-1059Z, Dec 26|
|+ SKCC Sprint||0000Z-0200Z, Dec 28|
|+ AGB New Year Snowball Contest||0000Z-0100Z, Jan 1|
|+ SARTG New Year RTTY Contest||0800Z-1100Z, Jan 1|
|+ AGCW Happy New Year Contest||0900Z-1200Z, Jan 1|
|+ AGCW VHF/UHF Contest||1400Z-1700Z, Jan 1 (144) and
1700Z-1800Z, Jan 1 (432)
|+ QRP ARCI New Years Sprint||1500Z-1800Z, Jan 1|
|+ QRP ARCI New Years Sprint||1500Z-1800Z, Jan 1|
|+ ARS Spartan Sprint||0200Z-0400Z, Jan 3|
*Information taken from the WA7BNM Contest Calendar
*Information taken from the ARRL Hamfest Calendar
Next Kids Day is Saturday, January 7
The first Saturday in January is Kids Day — the time to get youngsters on the air to share in the joy and fun that Amateur Radio can provide.
Kids Day gets under way on Saturday, January 7, at 1800 UTC and concludes at 2359 UTC. Sponsored by the Boring (Oregon) Amateur Radio Club, this event has a simple exchange, suitable for younger operators: First name, age, location, and favorite color. After that, the contact can be as long or as short as each participant prefers.
Kids Day is the perfect opportunity to open your shack door and invite kids over to see what Amateur Radio has to offer. Details are on the ARRL website.
Name, age, location and favorite color. Be sure to work the same station again if an operator has changed. To draw attention, call “CQ Kids Day.”
Kids Day on the Ham Radio at Valley Christian Schools
Thanks for stopping by today. If you like what you have heard on my podcast or read on my blog and would like to know how you can give your support, check out the Support page! You can make a one time donation through Paypal, become a monthly contributor through Patreon or shop on Amazon through my affiliate link.
If you have not done so already, please subscribe to my site so that you will receive emails when I publish a new post or podcast episode. It’s super easy! Just fill out the form below:
Once you click on the Sign Me Up button, you will get an email from me with a link that you will need to click on. Once you click on that link, you will start receiving emails from me. I hate spam as much as anyone does, so I promise you that I will not sell or rent your email address to anyone!
Until next time…
73 de Curtis, K5CLM