Hello everybody and welcome back to the Everything Ham Radio Podcast! In this episode we are going to talk about, we talk about some upcoming events/contests and hamfests over the next two weeks and wrap it up with some news from around the hobby!
Facebook Question of the Week:
What is your most exciting contact you’ve made?
Tech Corner – How to Teach A Technician Class with Dan Romanchik, KB6NU
In this episode we talk with Dan Romanchik, KB6NU. He has a ham for a long time and is a retired Electronics Engineer. He is also the author of the No Nonsense study guides.
Ham Instructor Yahoo Group – If you are any kind of ham radio teacher, from a training officer to a license class instructor, I highly recommend that you join this group. As of right now, you will not get flooded with emails, but there is a lot of great people in the group already that have a wealth of knowledge. We share ideas, ask questions and help each other out with different problems.
Dan will be talking about this subject at Hamvention this year. He will be the first speaker on Friday morning in Room 4 starting at 9:15.
Another speaker that you might recognize is George Zafiropoulos, KJ6VU from Ham Radio 360: Workbench. Both George and Jeremy will be speaking on Saturday at 2:45 in room 2.
Do You Need Some QSL Cards? Check out KB3IHF QSL Cards. When you place your order make sure you mention that you heard about him on the Everything Ham Radio Podcast. If you do I will get a small commission on your purchase.
West Mountain Radio
Are you tired of lousy propagation conditions and wondering how to work some real DX for a change?
Maybe you spin the dial and wonder what’s going on below the voice segment of the HF bands?
The answer is … You’re missing out! You’re missing out on digital modes! A rapidly growing and exciting part of ham radio!
Work real DX with the incredible JT-65 and JT-9 modes! It’s no exaggeration when I tell you, you WILL work stations you never thought possible, even using low power and compromise antennas.
Have fun making new contacts in modes such as PSK31, Olivia, Radio-Teletype, SSTV and many more!
The RIGblaster Advantage is everything you need to operate these exciting digital modes.
Made in the US, the RIGblaster interfaces have set the standard for nearly 20 years. Thousands of satisfied operators have learned their RIGblaster Advantage will provide solid digital communication, easy operating and reliability.
The RIGblaster Advantage has:
- A high quality built in sound card
- A single USB cable to your computer – say goodbye to the rats nest of audio and serial cables. Tidy up your station!
- Built in rig control that works with most radios
- Flexible transmit/receive switching – Choose between VOX or computer PTT
- Volume controls on the interface – no more hunting through Windows just to alter your transmit level!
- Real Morse Code keying that actually uses the CW mode on your radio
- Operate RTTY FSK for radios which support it
- An easy to understand manual covers beginners and seasoned operators alike
- Comes with a universal mic cable which fits most radios – optional cables may be available for your particular radio.
Don’t miss out on the fun and excitement any longer!
The RIGblaster Advantage is available right now for 199.95 with free ground shipping to the US 48.
Ham Blog Spotlight
|Holyland DX Contest||2100Z, Apr 14 to 2100Z, Apr 15|
|ES Open HF Championship||0500Z-0559Z, 0600Z-0659Z, 0700Z-0759Z, and 0800Z-0859Z, Apr 15|
|YU DX Contest||1200Z, Apr 15 to 1159Z, Apr 16|
|CQ Manchester Mineira DX Contest||1200Z, Apr 15 to 2359Z, Apr 16|
|Michigan QSO Party||1600Z, Apr 15 to 0400Z, Apr 16|
|North Dakota QSO Party||1800Z, Apr 15 to 1800Z, Apr 16|
|Ontario QSO Party||1800Z, Apr 15 to 0500Z, Apr 16 and 1200Z-1800Z, Apr 16|
|ARRL Rookie Roundup, SSB||1800Z-2359Z, Apr 16|
|Low Power Spring Sprint||1400Z-2000Z, Apr 17|
|SP DX RTTY Contest||1200Z, Apr 22 to 1200Z, Apr 23|
|Nebraska QSO Party||1300Z, Apr 22 to 0100Z, Apr 23 and 1300Z-2200Z, Apr 23|
|BARTG Sprint 75||1700Z-2059Z, Apr 23|
*Information taken from the WA7BNM Contest Calendar
- April Hamfest at DeVry – Phoenix, AZ
- Flamingo Net UMARC Free Flea – Coral Gables, FL
- Hambash 2017 – Kansas CIty, MO
- PAWA Hamfest – South Portland, ME
- Roanoke Division Convention (Raleigh Hamfest) – Raleigh, NC
- TARC – Tampa, FL
- FLEA at MIT – Cambridge, MA
- Eastern VHF-UHF Microwave Conference – Manchester, CT
- Idaho State Convention – Boise, ID
- International DX Convention – Visalia, CA
- 27th Annual Down East Hamfest – Kinston, NC
- Aurora ’17 Convention – White Bear Lake, MN
- Brainerd Area Hamfest – Brainerd, MN
- Calhoun Hamfest – Sugar Valley , GA
- Chassell Michigan Hamfest – Chassell, MI
- Communications Academy XIX – Seattle, WA
- Delaware State Convention (Delmarva Amateur Radio and Electronics EXPO) – Georgetown, DE
- DMRAA Hamfest – Des Moines, IA
- DRUMLINS ARC HAMFEST – Palmyra, NY
- EARC Hamfest-Swap Meet – Honolulu, HI
- Lewis and Clark Radio Club Hamfest 2017 – Godfrey , IL
- North Central Indiana Hamfest – Peru, IN
- Piney Hills Hamfest and Hot Dog Social – Ruston, LA
- RASON Auction 2017 – Gales Ferry, CT
- Spring 2017 Cy Harris Free Flee – Oakland Park, FL
- Valley Radio Club Swapfest – Eugene, OR
- Wiregrass Amateur Radio Club Spring Tailgate – Headland, AL
- AAROFest 2017 – Galva, IL
- Framingham ARA Spring Flea Market – Framingham, MA
- North Jersey Hamfest – Succasunna, NJ
- Two Rivers ARC Hamfest – Boston, PA
*Information taken from the ARRL Hamfest Calendar
Thanks for stopping by today. If you like what you have heard on my podcast or read on my blog and would like to know how you can give your support, check out the Support page! You can make a one time donation through Paypal, become a monthly contributor through Patreon or shop on Amazon through my affiliate link.
If you have not done so already, please subscribe to my site so that you will receive emails when I publish a new post or podcast episode. It’s super easy! Just fill out the form below:
Once you click on the Sign Me Up button, you will get an email from me with a link that you will need to click on. Once you click on that link, you will start receiving emails from me. I hate spam as much as anyone does, so I promise you that I will not sell or rent your email address to anyone!
Until next time…
73 de Curtis, K5CLM