Hello everybody and welcome back to the Everything Ham Radio Podcast! In this episode we are going to talk about Remote Controlled Drones and More with Jason Howard, K6DGN, we talk about some upcoming events/contests and hamfests over the next two weeks.
Facebook Question of the Week:
What did you buy at Hamvention or what would your have bought?
Tech Corner – Remote Controlled Drones and More with Jason Howard, K6DGN
Welcome to Jason Henderson, K6DGN to the Everything Ham Radio Podcast. Jason has been flying Remote Controlled Planes, Helicopters and Quad/Tri copters since 2009. In 2013, he married his love of RC vehicles to a new love of Amateur Radio.
What does someone need if they want to get started in this niche of the hobby?
- A Plane – If you are wanting to go the First Person View(FPV) style, Jason recommends getting a Hobby King Bixler – pusher plane.
- Radio – Jason’s personal opinion of the two best radios is the Spektrum & Futaba brands of radio. After looking the some of these and a couple websites, here are the cheapest ones I found. However, if you are looking into getting into this hobby, you might want to spend a little more money on your radio, because, I believe, you can use one radio on multiple vehicles.
- Batteries and charger
- Hobby King 20A ESC 3A UBEC – This is the battery pack for the Hobby King Bixler
- Camera and goggles
Where can you get RC stuff from?
Where can you find the transmitter/receiver that uses ham frequencies?
What is the best way to learn how to fly an RC craft?
- Realflight.com – With this system, the controller that comes with it is just for the program. Click here to buy on Amazon
- Phoenix Flight Simulator – You can buy direct from the company or check out this link from amazon that comes with a radio that you can actually use with your RC vehicle.
- Practice, Practice, Practice
What kind of RC things do you have?
Do You Need Some QSL Cards? Check out KB3IHF QSL Cards. When you place your order make sure you mention that you heard about him on the Everything Ham Radio Podcast. If you do I will get a small commission on your purchase.
West Mountain Radio
Are you tired of lousy propagation conditions and wondering how to work some real DX for a change?
Maybe you spin the dial and wonder what’s going on below the voice segment of the HF bands?
The answer is … You’re missing out! You’re missing out on digital modes! A rapidly growing and exciting part of ham radio!
Work real DX with the incredible JT-65 and JT-9 modes! It’s no exaggeration when I tell you, you WILL work stations you never thought possible, even using low power and compromise antennas.
Have fun making new contacts in modes such as PSK31, Olivia, Radio-Teletype, SSTV and many more!
The RIGblaster Advantage is everything you need to operate these exciting digital modes.
Made in the US, the RIGblaster interfaces have set the standard for nearly 20 years. Thousands of satisfied operators have learned their RIGblaster Advantage will provide solid digital communication, easy operating and reliability.
The RIGblaster Advantage has:
- A high quality built in sound card
- A single USB cable to your computer – say goodbye to the rats nest of audio and serial cables. Tidy up your station!
- Built in rig control that works with most radios
- Flexible transmit/receive switching – Choose between VOX or computer PTT
- Volume controls on the interface – no more hunting through Windows just to alter your transmit level!
- Real Morse Code keying that actually uses the CW mode on your radio
- Operate RTTY FSK for radios which support it
- An easy to understand manual covers beginners and seasoned operators alike
- Comes with a universal mic cable which fits most radios – optional cables may be available for your particular radio.
Don’t miss out on the fun and excitement any longer!
The RIGblaster Advantage is available right now for 199.95 with free ground shipping to the US 48.
For more information about the RIGBlaster Advantage and all the other products that West Mountain Radio has and to learn how to get your own USB Port monitor for free, click here.
Ham Blog Spotlight
- Show Archives including all of the broadcasts from Hamvention
- BARA Spring Hamfest – Township of Washington, NJ
- C.A.T.S. Tail-Gate Party – Clarksville, TN
- DurHamFest – Durham, NC
- Rocky Mountain Division Convention (Wyoming HamCon 2017) – Cody, WY
- Wormfest 2017 – Pinellas Park, FL
*Information taken from the ARRL Hamfest Calendar
Thanks for stopping by today. If you like what you have heard on my podcast or read on my blog and would like to know how you can give your support, check out the Support page! You can make a one time donation through Paypal, become a monthly contributor through Patreon or shop on Amazon through my affiliate link.
If you have not done so already, please subscribe to my site so that you will receive emails when I publish a new post or podcast episode. It’s super easy! Just fill out the form below:
Once you click on the Sign Me Up button, you will get an email from me with a link that you will need to click on. Once you click on that link, you will start receiving emails from me. I hate spam as much as anyone does, so I promise you that I will not sell or rent your email address to anyone!
Until next time…
73 de Curtis, K5CLM