Hello everybody and welcome back to the Everything Ham Radio Podcast! In this episode we are joined by Ian Kahn, KM4IK, as a guest host. We talk about Christmas, or more specifically ideas for a
Shout Out to Eric Harrison. Eric sent me an email this past weekend tell me that he passed his Technician Class Test. In his email he wrote, “Thanks for making the podcast. Between it and the No Nonsense study guide, I’m Convinced that’s what made it possible.”
Also I want to give a shout out to Pat Hens. Last episode was requested by him. In his last email he said that he was â€œNew to Ham and was studying for his General because he was interested in WSPRnet. This last Sunday I got an email from him again. This time he says:
Quick update. Â I passed the Tech and General this weekend. Â Missed the Extra by three questions, but I wouldn’t have felt like I earned it if I would have passed since I didn’t study. Â The math and circuit/RF theory questions were no problem, but had to just guess on the procedures and regulations.
Thanks again for the podcast.
That is awesome! Congratulations to Eric for passing his Technician and Pat on passing both the Technician and General! Welcome to the hobby!
Tech Corner – Christmas Wish List
Hand held radios
- Baofeng UV-5RM HP 7 Watt Tri Power Hand Held Dual-Band Transceiver – 44.99
- Baofeng UV-5R-3 5 Watt Tri Band Radio – 49.99
- ALINCO DJ-500T 2M/440 Dualband Amateur Handheld Transceiver VHF/UHF – 109.95
- Yaesu FT-65R Dual Band 5W HT Transceiver – 119.95
- TYT DMR MD-380 UHF 400-480MHz Digital HT With Programming Cable & Software – 89.00
- TYT DMR MD-380 VHF 136-174 MHz Digital Handy Talkie With Programming Cable & Software – ~94.00
- TYT Electronics TYT-MD-2017 Dual Band – 159.95
- Yaesu FT-70DR C4FM Fusion Dual Band 5W HT Transceiver – 195.95
- Yaesu FT-2DR C4FM 144/430 MHz Dual Band Digital Handheld Transceiver $379.95 After MIR – 419.95
- DR-135TMKIII 2M Mobile Free Shipping ! – 172.95Â – Only Monoband i recommend because you can get the optional EJ-40U TNC module for Digital Modes
- TYT TH-9800 PLUS Upgraded Version Quad Band Mobile 29/50/144/430 MHZ Ham Radio – 198.00
- Alinco DR-735T VHF/UHF Dual Band Full Duplex Transceiver – 299.99
- Yaesu FT??
- Kenwood TM-V71A 144/440 MHz Mobile – 334.95
- KENWOOD TM-D710G 2M/440 TRANSCEIVER APRS/TNC GPS – 609.00
- Yaesu FTM-100DR 2M/440 Dual-Band Mobile Transceiver – 309.00
- Yaesu FTM-400XDR 50W 144/430MHz Mobile Transceiver $548.95 After MIR – 598.98
- Yaesu FT-891 HF+6M 100W All Mode Transceiver – 578.00
- KENWOOD TS-480SAT 100 watt HF Plus Six Meters – 829.00
- Icom IC-7100 160-10 meters +6M +2M +440 MHz 12 VDC w DStar $779 After MIR – 979.00
- Yaesu FT DX-1200 HF/50MHz Transceiver $1058 after Rebate – 1158.95
- Icom IC-7300 HF/50MHz 100 Watt Transceiver $1248 after MIR – 1348.00
- KENWOOD TS-2000 HF/6/2/UHF TCVR DSP 100W HF Free Ship – 1379.00
- Icom IC-7610, anticipated release early December
- IC8600 Wideband Receiver
- Yaesu FT-991 HF/6m/VHF/UHF portable Transceiver
Popular QRP Transceivers
- Yaesu FT-817ND
- Elecraft KX-3 Base price $950.00 for kit. Price varies based on accessories purchased
- Elecraft KX-2 Base price $749.95. Price varies based on accessories purchased.
- Elecraft KPA-1500 (announced at Visalia International DX Convention this year)
- Packtenna Mini
- Work Bench and/or Go Pack Equipment – Check out Episode 52 for more information.
- DIY Build Kits
Hamshack Raspberry Pi: How to Use the Raspberry Pi for Amateur Radio Activities –
Getting back into Amateur Radio: What’s new and what you forgot
ARES Field Resource Manual
Kit Web Sites
Replacement Rotor Controllers
- Hy-Gain Line for Yaesu Antennas – prices vary based on model
- Green Heron Engineering Controllers – prices start at $569.00
MTC Radio Programs
Help a Ham Program
Let’s get together and help someone this year. Do you know of a ham that needs a little help this year? It can be a new ham , an old ham or a very young ham. We want to help them get some gear this Christmas. First, to nominate someone please email their call sign, name , address, phone number and even email address to firstname.lastname@example.org . Please be sure to include a little bit about the ham in need and why they need a little help this year. It is perfectly OK to nominate yourself but we may have to do a little verification so we made need some references if you are in need yourself. All Nominations must be in by 12-16-17
Second, we have created this “product” on our page right here. This “Help a ham” Product only costs $1.00 . You do not have to know anyone Â that needs help to do this. You can buy one or as many as you want. You will get a receipt for your purchase. This is probably not tax deductible
Around December 20th we will start looking at all of the “nominations.” Our panel of Judges (the employees of MTC) will pick a winner
We will total up all of the dollars spent and we will kick in $500. Â We will donate one hundred percent of the dollars raised minus any of the credit card/paypal fees, which should average three percent, toward the purchase price (at dealer cost) of any products we sell or can acquire. We will also be in contact with a few manufacturers to see if they can do anything to make this money go as far as possible. We will try and find out what kind of gear this lucky ham needs and get it to him or her for Christmas. We will post the dollar amount raised on our site and on our facebook page as well as announce the winner. We would also like to announce all of the folks that donated on our page and on our facebook page. Please include your callsign if you have one. If you would rather remain anonymous just type that in the order comments. We may change something up here to keep it legal and all so check back often. If you make this purchase you will not receive anything other than a receipt via email. You may however get a warm fuzzy feeling knowing you helped some ham at Christmas
Black November Sale
Everyday this month, MTC Radio will be sending out an email to their email list with special deals that they are having. The end of the year is approaching fast and they are trying to get rid of their stock. In these emails they have a few great deals that typically are only good for 24 hours or until their stock is gone. If you are not on their email list, go to mtcradio.com and sign up. The sign up form is on the left sidebar, about half way down the page.
Let It Snow Deal!
If it snows 1 inch or more in Paris, TX on Christmas day, almost any product that was purchased from MTC Radio from November 2nd through December 8 will be free. They will refund your purchase price of pretty much whatever you bought in the time from less any applicable tax and/or shipping.
Get a custom made sign for someone for Christmas! Get a sign with your call sign and name and a graphic of your picking. If you donâ€™t want a ham radio related sign, thatâ€™s ok! Get a sign with yours and your spouse’s first name with your last name bigger in the background.
Maybe a saying that is special to you or someone else in your life. I will make a sign to your specifications and just the way you want it.
West Mountain Radio
Do you have an old fashioned Analog Volt and Amp meter hooked to your station? Are you looking to find something that has more bells and whistles? Check out the West Mountain Radio PWRcheck.
The PWRcheck has eight display modes including voltage, current flow in either directions, wattage and amp-hours and will measure from 0-60V with 40A continuous load. It is accurate to within +/- 10mV and +/-10mA.
It has a backlit graphics LCD that will display data in digital, analog and bar graph formats. You can even monitor your backup battery with a programmable â€œgas gaugeâ€.
The non-volatile memory stores more than 100,000 data points without power. That is nearly two and a half months worth of data @ 1 point per minute!
It has a USB computer interface for configuration and data download and you can program it to sound an alarm for over current, over or under voltage and amp-hours.
The software that comes with it allows your to program every aspect of the PWRcheck operation such as data logging rate, display formats and alarm conditions. You can display current, voltage, wattage and amp-hours in real time. It has integrated charting software that automatically collects and displays data. All the data can bed downloaded and stored for later analysis!
For more information about the West Mountain Radio PWRcheck and how to get your free USB Port Monitor, click here.
Thanks for stopping by today. If you like what you have heard on my podcast or read on my blog and would like to know how you can give your support, check out the Support page! You can make a one time donation through Paypal, become a monthly contributor through Patreon or shop on Amazon through my affiliate link.
If you have not done so already, please subscribe to my site so that you will receive emails when I publish a new post or podcast episode. It’s super easy! Just fill out the form below:
Once you click on the Sign Me Up button, you will get an email from me with a link that you will need to click on. Once you click on that link, you will start receiving emails from me. I hate spam as much as anyone does, so I promise you that I will not sell or rent your email address to anyone!
Until next time…
73 de Curtis, K5CLM