Severe weather and my love/hate relationship


Hello everybody and welcome back to my blog. One of the first things that I did after I became a ham was get involved with my local skyward team. I did the skyward class, practiced talking on the radio(the easiest part), and even went as far as taking net control training and got involved with running our training nets(which was actually fairly easy since that was part of my job description to the officer position that I held in my club). Over the years I have spotted many storms, some that fizzled out, and some that the bottom fell out of and other that wreaked havoc on my county. One of those storms wreaked havoc on my county last Sunday, and messed up my house and cars.

The storm itself was something that in all my years of storm spotting I have never seen. It started out with me being at work and if you have read some of my previous blog entries, the last one in particular, I am a 911 Telecommunicator. I watched as a storm cell built in the county just to the east of me and slowly made its way towards where I was, all the while dropping at least one tornado and a bunch hail. When it made it to the county line it took a hard right and went into the county to the north of us and dissipated. Thirty minutes later, we were back on storm watch as another cell developed basically in the same location as the previous one and there was reports of a tornado and hail in this one as well. The second cell made it to our county line and once again decided that it didn’t want anything to do with our county and made a hard right and headed into the county to our north. For the second time during my shift it appeared as if we dodged a bullet so to speak. Right at the end of my shift, again mother-nature decided to send a storm our way. Thankfully for me it was time to clock out and go home. It is a lot more fin when storms come in when I’m not working than when I am. At least when I’m not working, wife’s permission pending, at least I can go out and spot the storm instead of sitting in a cinder block building with very little visibility to the outside world.

Right about the time that I get home I get a message from our EMC, asking for everyone to get ready for the incoming storm. I thought to myself, “I guess that didn’t follow the same track as the last two did.” Instantly I was thinking to myself that I would actually be able to go out and spot this one since I didn’t have to work the next day, but alas now I have three small kids so it’s not as easy to get away as it use to be when it was just me and my wife because now I have to think of more than just me and her. So my excitement about getting to go and spot was short lived, because almost immediately, my thought process changed to, “I know that this storm has already dropped at least two tornadoes and it has rotation in still, so I think I had better get my kids to a more secure location and out of the path of all the circulation.” So my wife and got everything packed up, we woke the kids and went to my dad’s house.

We get to my dad’s and get the kids back to sleep, well 2 out of 3 anyway, and watch radar and the storms outside from there. The weirdest part about this storm was that once it got over my county, it basically slammed on the brakes and just sat there for the next three or so hours. The storms cells would move in from the west at about 30 mph and then hit the county line and slam into the back of the cell that was sitting over us, just added to energy that it was putting out on top of us. There was probably five or six cells that did this over the three hours it was above us. Finally, it decided that it had spin its wheels long enough over us and took off like a bat out of h#$@ and pushed off to the east. The below radar images is about 10 minutes difference believe.


Once the storm finally past, it was time to head back home. Unfortunately that turned out to be something that was harder done than said. We left my dad’s house at 12:30am, but 3:00am we finally made it home; normally it is a five minute drive. Every route from my dad’s house out was under water, most by a foot or more. When we finally made it home, we got home to a dark house, because we didn’t have power, and two broken windows with a flooded inside.

Need-less-to say the last week has been very busy and we haven’t even started on our cars insurance claims yet. I thank you for reading my blog, and please share my blog with your friends. Also please like my Facebook page and follow me on twitter and google+. Links to all three are up on the top right of my pages.

73 de K5CLM

Related posts